Don’t mistake this recipe for tomato soup, I don’t blame you, it totally looks like it. It’s a dipping sauce, and it’s highly addictive. So get your favorite crusty artisan bread, and get ready to dip it in this yummy chile & tomato oil. It’s the perfect appetizer to take to a party or even to serve for a special dinner at home.
- 1 cup (213g)- olive oil
- 5 (80g) – garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large can (28oz/793g) – San Marzano Tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (4.5oz/127g) – mild green chiles, I used El Paso brand
- 1 tablespoon (15g) – agave
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) – white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon – salt
- ½ teaspoon – black pepper
- ½ teaspoon – chili flakes (optional, if you like it a little spicy)
- Crusty artisan bread, I like to use ciabatta.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat up the olive oil and add in the sliced garlic. Cook the garlic until it is golden. Don’t let it get too brown, or it will get bitter in the final product. In a bowl or large measuring cup, strain the garlic from the oil. Be careful, the oil is very hot! Set aside.
- In a blender, add the tomatoes, green chile peppers, garlic, vinegar, agave, salt, black pepper, and chili flakes (if using). Blend on high until smooth. Then set it to low, and slowly pour in the olive oil until it has fully emulsified.
- Pour the sauce into the same saucepan from earlier and cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Stirring occasionally until it starts to bubble. Serve with some fresh artisan bread and enjoy! This will make a large batch, so you can store it in the fridge, it will keep for a week, or give some away to friends!
Keywords: vegan, italian recipe, tomato chile oil, dipping sauce, recipe