These cupcakes are the perfect pick-me-up, and will fill any cravings you will have—especially for you chocoholics out there! These cupcakes are so decadent, so moist, and oh so chocolaty. It’ll be hard to eat just one!
1 cup (240g) – non-dairy milk, 90° F or lukewarm (I used soy)
- 2 teaspoon (10g) – apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5g) – vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60g) – vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon (29g) – maple syrup
- 1 2/3 cup (210g) – all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) – granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (30g) – dutch-processed cocoa powder (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon (5g) – instant espresso/coffee (optional, see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (8g) – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) – baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) – sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit, and prep a cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine non-dairy milk, make sure it’s lukewarm, and apple cider vinegar. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes, this will be your buttermilk, it will curdle and thicken.
- In a large bowl, sift your flour, sugar, instant espresso/coffee (if using), dutch-processed cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- To your buttermilk, add in vanilla extract, oil, maple syrup and whisk until fully emulsified.
- Combine wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and with a spatula gently fold it together. Careful not to over mix. You should have a slightly thick batter. If it’s too runny and smooth, you could risk the cupcakes falling flat, and sinking in the middle.
- Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full. Tap the tin to release some air bubbles, and quickly place them in the oven. (See notes)
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes. Do not open the oven at this stage, let it fully bake before checking.
- To check if your cupcakes are done, use a toothpick or a wooden skewer and poke the center of the cupcake. It should come out clean with a couple of crumbs. If there is still wet batter, bake it for 2 minute increments until it is ready.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven, and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes. After, remove from the tin and let them full cool on a cooling rack. Do not frost them while they are hot, they will melt!
- You can check out my chocolate frosting here! Enjoy!
- Do not substitute for regular or natural cocoa powder, the ingredients are specifically based around the dutch-cocoa powder. Please see link for more information.
- If you do not have instant espresso, look for instant coffee that is just black, and has no other added ingredients. It heightens the flavor of the chocolate in the cupcakes, and it will not give a heavily coffee flavor. This is totally optional and the cupcakes will taste good with or without it.
- Do not wait to put these in the oven, the baking powder and the baking soda are already activated at this point. You don’t want to lose their leavening activity, so work quickly.
Keywords: Dessert, Vegan, Snack, Chocolate, Cupcake