This recipe only contains two major ingredients, that’s right, only two! They are, bittersweet chocolate and non-dairy milk. This alone gives you the good hot cocoa base, which you can drink on its own or you can spice it up! This is definitely an easy recipe that you can whip up in minutes.
Hot Cocoa Base:
- 2 cups (240ml) – non-dairy milk
- ½ cup (90g) – ¾ cup (130g) – vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (See notes)
For peppermint mocha
- ½ teaspoon – peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon – instant espresso powder
- Non-dairy whipped cream
- Dandies mini marshmallows
- Crushed peppermint/candy canes
- Candy canes
For the hot cocoa base:
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk on a gentle simmer. Add in the chocolate, and whisk continuously until it has completed melted and is smooth. If you want thin hot cocoa, add in ½ cup of chocolate, if you want a rich and thicker version add in a ¾ cup. Pour the hot cocoa into 2 mugs and you can drink it as is. Top it off with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
For Peppermint Mocha:
- To the hot cocoa base, mix in ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract and the instant espresso powder. Mix until well combined. You can add more coffee or peppermint to your liking! Add your desired toppings, I like adding marshmallows, crushed peppermint, and even a candy cane as a stirrer! Serve and enjoy!
- If you want a thinner hot chocolate, add in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, if you prefer a rich and thick one add in 3/4 cup.
Keywords: vegan, hot chocolate, hot cocoa, non-dairy, christmas, holiday recipe, chocolate