Afritada, a popular Filipino stew, a dish that is not only delicious, but also very comforting. This simple dish can be easily prepared for everyday meals and even for special occasions. Because this dish is so rich in flavor, all you need to eat it with is some plain rice. I can guarantee you might not even notice a difference because this dish tastes exactly like the original.
- 1 1/2 cup – soy curls, https://amzn.to/2Gfj6Rp see notes
- ½ teaspoon – poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon – onion powder
- ½ teaspoon – garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon – chili powder
- 1 russet potato – cubed
- 1 large carrot – sliced
- 1 8oz can – tomato sauce
- 4 vegan hot dogs, sliced, I used Light Life
- ½ cup – frozen green peas
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups – hot water
- 2 teaspoon – Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Broth Paste https://amzn.to/2RYE9KX see notes
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Before starting, prep all the ingredients. So, clean and chop up all the vegetables, and have all the other ingredients measured out. This will make the process go by smoother and quicker.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together the hot water and vegetable broth paste.
- Then, in a large bowl, pour 1 cup of the hot broth and soak the soy curls, making sure that each piece is submerged. Let it sit to rehydrate for 5 minutes. (see notes)
- Drain the soy curls through a fine mesh sieve, and reserve the excess broth! We will use it later!
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the soy curls to the pan, and season it with poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder. Mix and cook until the soy curls are lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan, and set aside until ready to use.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in the hotdogs and onions. Cook until the hot dogs are lightly browned and onions are tender and translucent.
- Next, add soy curls, red bell pepper, tomato sauce, and all of the broth. You should have 2 cups of broth, if not add more water. Stir all of the ingredients together. Cover and bring it up to a boil.
- Add in the potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves. Mix, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 8 minutes, or until the root vegetables are soft.
- Lastly, peas, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover the pot again to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, serve with some rice and enjoy!
- If you can’t find soy curls, you can try using tofu. However, I have not used it myself, so the taste might vary.
- If you can’t find Better Than Bouillon, you can replace that and the water for 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- The reason why we don’t soak the soy curls using all the water is because I find that the soy curls soak up too much water even if I do try to squeeze it out of them. That is also why I don’t soak them for very long because they will be soften as you cook them with the rest of the ingredients.
Keywords: vegan, vegan filipino recipe, vegan afritada, vegan stew, afritada, vegan filipino food, filipino food