Need a quick and easy tofu recipe to cook for dinner? Look no further, this Filipino dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and even little spicy. Serve this as an appetizer, or eat it with a bowl of rice, or even alongside your favorite beer.
- 1 block – firm tofu, pressed and cubed, see notes on how to press tofu.
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons – vegan butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper – finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper – finely diced
- 1 green finger chili pepper (siling haba)* – thinly sliced
- 1–2 red Thai chili peppers (siling labuyo)* – thinly sliced (adjust to your heat preference)
*Please use food safe gloves whenever you handle chili peppers!
- ¼ cup – vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon – sugar
- 2 tablespoon – vegan oyster sauce https://amzn.to/31dSDLN
- 1 tablespoon – vegan Worcestershire sauce https://amzn.to/34ZTh0F
- 2 teaspoon – soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon – onion powder
- Prepare the sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Fill a deep pot with enough oil to cover the tofu. Place it over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot (around 350°F), working in batches, deep fry the tofu until it turns light brown. Around 3-5 minutes per batch. Carefully remove the tofu from the pot and place over a plate lined with a tea towel to drain the excess oil. Set aside.
- Heat vegan butter in a large skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and onions until aromatic and softened.
- Add in the red and green peppers and sauté until tender.
- Next, add in the sauce and chili peppers and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the fried tofu and mix until well combined. If using a cast-iron skillet, carefully serve while hot and sizzling. If not, transfer to a plate, serve and enjoy!
- Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and place a heavy book over the top. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes to press and drain the liquid from the tofu. If you eat a lot of tofu like me, you can invest in a tofu press like this one: https://amzn.to/2SWIjmK
- If you don’t want to deep fry, you can pan-fry the tofu in a bit of oil. Fry the tofu until all the sides are golden brown. Set aside until ready to use.
- Frying substitutions:
- Air Fryer: Air fry at 400°F for 11-15 minutes, tossing halfway so that the tofu cooks evenly on all sides.
- Oven: Toss tofu blocks in 1 tablespoon of oil and bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway.
- If you don’t have the sizzling plate, you can use a cast iron skillet, however, make sure you have a base that is 100% heatproof so you can place the cast iron on top of it. Please do not place an extremely hot pan on any surface that isn’t heatproof.
Keywords: vegan, vegan, recipe, vegan filipino recipe, filipino recipe, vegan filipino, tofu recipe, tofu dish, sizzling tofu, filpino, vegan filipino, fried tofu, easy tofu recipe, entree