Fried rice, take-out favorite, a lazy person’s best meal, and in our household it’s a staple. What can I say? It’s a great way to use up any left-over rice, you can customize with whatever mix-ins you want, and it’s so absolutely delicious!
- ½ block – extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon – garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon – onion powder
- 1 tablespoon – vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon – vegan butter
- 5 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 cups – cooked white rice, day old (a must, see notes)
- 2 tablespoon – soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of spinach
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the cubed tofu. Saute the tofu in the oil for 1 minute and add the garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to fry the tofu until golden brown all around, about 10 minutes. Remove tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Add vegan butter to the pan until melted, then add minced garlic and saute until lightly browned. Next add in the day old rice, break up any chunks in the pan and mix in with the garlic. Then pour in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce until well combined. Continue to cook the rice for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the tofu, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and mix it in with the rice.
- Finally, mix in a handful of spinach until slightly wilted.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can also use any left-over cooked tofu you have!
- Day old rice works the best, using fresh cooked rice will result in a gummy mushy product.
- Don’t skimp out on the garlic!
- Add in whatever additional ingredients you want!
Keywords: vegan, recipe, tofu, entree, fried rice, breakfast