Graham cracker crust:
- 9 full sheets – graham crackers, I used the Nabisco brand https://amzn.to/3cntFC6
- 50g (¼ cup) – white sugar
- 6 tablespoons – of vegan butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 96g (3/4 cup) – all-purpose flour
- 30g (4 tablespoons) – dutch-processed cocoa powder https://amzn.to/3B4Xfqx
- 150g (3/4 cup) – granulated sugar
- 150g (1 bar + 6 squares/5.5oz) – semi-sweet chocolate Baker’s bar https://amzn.to/3crwSkg
- 56g (4 tablespoons) – vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon – instant espresso
- 120g (½ cup) – non-dairy milk, I used soy
- Mini marshmallows, I used Dandies https://amzn.to/3uWxm88
- Mini chocolate chips https://amzn.to/3yTEqDE
- Crushed graham crackers
- Food scale https://amzn.to/3cqFTd5
- 8x8 square baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Food processor
- Small saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper is long enough, so you have some overhang on the sides of the pan. Fold the parchment paper so it sits over the sides of the pan.
- Next, using the food processor, pulse the graham crackers until you get a dry sand texture.
- Combine the graham crackers crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and salt in a bowl and mix until you get a wet sand texture.
- Pour the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan, and firmly pack the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. I like to use a clean, flat bottom of a measuring cup to press and to level the crust to the pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and set it aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, make the brownie batter. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, milk, sugar, and chocolate. Place over medium-low heat. Stir everything together until the chocolate and sugar have fully dissolved and everything is well combined. Remove from the heat.
- To the butter mixture, add the vanilla extract and the instant espresso. Mix to combine and set it aside to cool down slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, and cocoa powder.
- Then, combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix until there are no pockets of dry flour left. Lumps are okay!
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles.
- Remove the brownies from the oven, and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs and chocolate over the top.
- Switch your oven to broil, and place your brownies back to toast the marshmallows. This will take only about 1-2 minutes, so keep a close eye on it. The marshmallows will burn if you leave your oven.
- Remove the brownies from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for about 20 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes, carefully remove them out of the pan and allow them to finish cooling on a wire rack. Let it be completely cool before slicing!
- Measure your flour properly. My recipes are 100% tested in grams. A common reason baked goods fail is incorrectly measured flour. I always recommend using a scale for accuracy when baking. This greatly improves your chance for success and lessens room for error.
- If you’re measuring by cups, avoid scooping the measuring cup directly into the flour. This tends to pack the flour into the cup, resulting in too much flour and a very dense or gummy finished product. Instead, aerate your flour (fluff it with a fork or spoon) and then spoon it into your measuring cups, leveling it with your finger or the back of a butter knife. Keep in mind though, that this method is not guaranteed to be accurate.
- Watch this video from King Arthur on how to properly measure your flour if you don’t have a food scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSovVHpqsU
- Use parchment paper as handles. Having enough parchment paper to overhang the pan will act as handles once the brownies are cool enough to pull out. It just makes things easier!
- Cocoa Powder. You can use natural cocoa powder https://amzn.to/3z049IV, but I find that Dutch-processed cocoa https://amzn.to/3k0PvwG powder gives it a richer and deeper flavor of chocolate.
Keywords: vegan, vegan dessert recipe, vegan smores brownies, smores brownies, vegan brownies, brownies, chocolate, dessert