If you had to choose between cheesecake and brownie, what would you choose? Let me answer that for you…YOU HAVE BOTH! How? With these cheesecake brownies!
- 1 cup (128g) – all-purpose flour, fluffed, spooned and leveled, see notes
- 1/3 cup (30g) – Dutch-processed cocoa powder https://amzn.to/3l5VYUJ
- 1 cup (200g) – granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon – instant espresso/coffee (optional)
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) – semi-sweet chocolate, melted (I used Baker’s chocolate) https://amzn.to/3DYrugI
- 1/3 cup (75g) – vegetable oil or any neutral tasting oil
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) – non-dairy milk, I used soy
- 1 (8oz/227g pack) – plain vegan cream cheese, I used Kite Hill
- ¼ cup (50g) – granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon – cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon – vanilla extract
- Orange food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Have the parchment paper long enough so that it drapes over the sides of the pan. It will serve as a “handle” as you remove the brownies from the pan.
- Prepare the cheesecake layer. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the vegan cream cheese and sugar with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Whip until smooth.
- Add in the cornstarch, vanilla extract, and food coloring and mix until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Next, prepare the brownie batter. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and instant espresso. Then, mix it all together with a whisk.
- Next, in a heat proof bowl combine the oil and chopped chocolate together. Melt it in the microwave, stirring in-between to ensure the chocolate is melted and fully emulsified in the oil.
- Once your chocolate has been melted, add the vanilla extract and non-dairy milk. Combine it with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix, only mix until you do not see any dry flour left. Set aside about ¼ cup of the brownie batter in a small bowl.
- Pour the rest of the batter in the prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter.
- Take the ¼ cup of the reserved brownie batter and drop it/drizzle it over the cheesecake layer. Using a knife or a toothpick, swirl around the cheesecake mixture around the brownie batter.
- Bake it for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is set to touch.
- Remove the brownies from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for about 20 minutes. It will continue to bake in the hot pan when it is out of the oven.
- After about 20 minutes, carefully remove them out of the pan and allow them to finish cooling on a wire rack. Let it be completely cool before slicing!
- A common reason baked goods fail is incorrectly measured flour. I always recommend using a scale for accuracy when baking. This greatly improves your chance for success and lessens room for error. My recipes are 100% tested in grams.
- However, if you’re measuring by cups, avoid scooping the measuring cup directly into the flour. This tends to pack the flour into the cup, resulting in too much flour and a very dense or gummy finished product. Instead, aerate your flour (fluff it with a fork or spoon) and then spoon it into your measuring cups, leveling it with your finger or the back of a butter knife. Keep in mind though, this method is not guaranteed to be accurate.
- Watch this video from King Arthur on how to properly measure your flour if you don’t have a food scale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSovVHpqsU
- Store in an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
- They will also keep well in the freezer for about a month.
Keywords: vegan, vegan dessert, vegan brownies, cheesecake, brownies, cheesecake brownies, fudgy brownies vegan cheesecake brownies