Vegan sopas (soh-pahs), it’s comforting, it’s creamy, it’s delicious, and it’s hearty. Packed with vegetables, macaroni, and vegan hotdogs, this soup will definitely fill you up. It’s the ultimate comfort food!
This is paired well with some warm pandesal, check out my recipe here!
- 3 tablespoons – vegan butter, divided
- 1 pack of vegan hotdogs, thinly sliced into coins I used Lightlife
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into coins
- 2–3 tablespoons – Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken Base (adjust to taste) https://amzn.to/2RE1P79
- 6 cups water, plus more
- ½ of a medium cabbage, (or ¼ of a large one) chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (8 oz) – coconut evaporated milk https://amzn.to/2EgBVDp See notes
- 1 cup – elbow macaroni noodles, ensure it’s vegan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the vegan hotdogs, and cook until it has lightly browned. Carefully remove from the pot and set aside until ready to use.
- To the pot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegan butter, minced garlic, and onions. Sauté until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Next, add the carrots. Continue to sauté until the carrots tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the water, let it boil, and add in the vegetable broth paste. Mix until the broth paste has fully dissolved.
- When the broth has come up to a boil, add in macaroni and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Next, add the cabbage. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Add the coconut evaporated milk and stir to heat through. Lastly, add vegan hot dogs, salt, and black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
- If you can’t find Better Than Bouillon, you can skip it and replace the 6 cups of water with 6 cups of vegetable broth.
- If you can’t find coconut evaporated milk, you can substitute it for 1 cup of non-dairy milk. I’ve used soy milk before and it tastes just as great.
- You can add soy curls or any vegan chicken meat substitute. If you use soy curls, don’t forget to rehydrate them in hot water before adding them to the soup. I would also saute it with the vegan hotdogs and get it browned all over.
- Something to keep in mind, when this soup sits overnight it will lose the liquid. This happens because the macaroni will soak more liquid the longer it sits in the soup. Simply add a cup or so of water or broth to the pot and mix it in thoroughly.
Keywords: vegan, filipino, filipino recipe, soup, comfort food, filipino comfort food, vegan filipino recipe, sopas, creamy macaroni soup