This is a simple, yet sophisticated tomato sauce. The flavors open up as they steep in the olive oil and causes the flavors to explode. This sauce coats the gnocchi perfectly, as if it was a match made in heaven. This is the perfect dish if you want to bring a taste of Italy in your home.
- ¼ cup – extra virgin olive oil
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon – dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon – dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon – dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon – dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon – dried chili flakes, add more if you like heat
- 1 – 28 oz can – San Marzano diced tomatoes https://amzn.to/2R7UdcF (or sub for any canned diced tomatoes)
- Half of the amount of my gnocchi recipe or 1 pack of store-bought gnocchi (ensure it’s vegan)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt, for the pasta water.
- ½ pack Miyoko’s Mozz, optional
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Large sauté pan
- Large pot
- Cooking spatula
- Before you start, have all your ingredients prepped and measured out. It will help make the cooking process go by smoothly.
- Heat a large pot filled with water and bring it up to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. When your oil is hot enough, add in the minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried rosemary and dried chili flakes. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the olive oil to gently infuse with the herbs and garlic. Do not let the garlic brown or burn, if it is, your heat is too high.
- Next, mix in the diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and flavors have come together, 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat (keep the sauce in the pan).
- Return to the pot of water. When the water is boiling, add in 1 tablespoon of salt. Then add in the gnocchi and cook until it starts to float.
- Add the gnocchi to the sauce, stirring, until the sauce coats the gnocchi.
- Sprinkle in some chunks of the vegan mozzarella all over, cover, and cook for an additional 3 minutes until slightly melted. Serve and enjoy!
- My gnocchi recipe: https://flouredframe.com/easy-vegan-gnocchi/
Keywords: vegan, vegan recipe, vegan pasta, vegan gnocchi, vegan pasta, gnocchi, Italian recipe, pomodoro