The ultimate Filipino summertime treat, halo-halo (ha-loh – ha-loh) is a delicious way to cool down. This vegan halo-halo layered with a bunch of things, such as sweet beans, jelly, fruits, shaved ice and drizzled with milk. Let’s not forget the best parts, the toppings, ube ice cream, and Leche flan!
Milk Shaved Ice (Skip if you own a shaved ice machine):
- 1 cup (240ml) – milk
- 1 tbsp – sugar
- 1 tbsp – coconut condensed milk
Mix-ins (see notes):
- Sweet red bean (munggo) https://amzn.to/3CucXtv
- Sweet white beans https://amzn.to/3CxoyI9
- Coconut gel (Nata de coco) https://amzn.to/3yCB8DG
- Macapuno strings or freshly grated coconut https://amzn.to/3iyQ14c
- vegan pandan jelly (gulaman), get the recipe here: buko pandan
- Non-dairy milk, I used soy
- Coconut condensed milk https://amzn.to/3fSzdTY
- vegan Leche flan (creme caramel), get the recipe here: Leche flan
- vegan ube ice cream, get the recipe here: ube ice cream
- Optional: Premade halo-halo mix https://amzn.to/3iyYwfy
- Other optional mix-ins: bananas, jackfruit, sweet corn, corn flakes, rice puff cereal, sago or tapioca pearls, ube jam (ube halaya), etc.
- Large measuring cup*
- Freezer safe bag*
- Tall glass
- Ice cream scoop
*Skip if you already own a shaved ice machine
The day before:
- Make the Leche flan, vegan ube ice cream, and pandan jelly. Links to the recipes above.
- Next, make your milk shaved ice. In a small bowl, add the non-dairy milk, sugar, and coconut condensed milk. Mix to combine.
- Then pour in a reusable zip bag, and set it in the freezer for a few hours or until frozen.
The next day:
- An hour before serving, remove the ube ice cream from the freezer to soften.
When you are ready to serve:
- Layer the sweet red beans, sweet white beans, coconut gel, macapuno strings, and pandan jelly in a tall glass.
- Next, remove the frozen milk from the freezer and crush it up in the bag. I like to use the end of a wooden spoon to do this, or if you’re strong enough if you crush it with your hands!
- Crush the frozen milk until you get a soft texture that resembles shaved ice, and add it into your glass until it reaches the rim. If you have a shave ice machine, you can skip this step.
- Pour some non-dairy milk over top and some coconut condensed milk.
- Add a scoop of ube ice cream and a slice of Leche flan. Serve immediately!
- The mix-ins do not have exact measurements as it’s up to your own preference. Add as much or as little as you want! This dessert is customizable
- Also, all these mix-in ingredients can also be found at your local Filipino store or any Asian supermarket that sells Filipino products, such as 99 Ranch or H-Mart.
Keywords: vegan, vegan filipino recipe, filipino recipe, dessert, filipino dessert, vegan filipino dessert, halo-halo, vegan halo-halo, vegan ube ice cream, ube ice cream, vegan leche flan, leche flan, summer dessert, shaved ice, summer