Focaccia sandwiches are a good way to up your sandwich game. And in this recipe, it makes for a hearty sandwich, filled with delicious portobello mushrooms, garlic aioli, and topped with some vegan cheese. Serve this up for lunch or a light dinner, it’s just so delicious and bursting with flavors.
Slices of focaccia bread – Click here for my sourdough recipe.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and sliced
- ¼ cup – white vinegar
- ½ cup – extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves – garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon – oil, for sauteing
- Vegan cheese slices, I used Chao’s
- ½ cup – vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoon – lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon – black pepper
- 3 tablespoon – fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoon – sriracha
- 2 cloves – garlic, minced
- Clean and descale the portobello mushroom caps. Thinly slice, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the white vinegar, olive oil, and garlic. Add in the sliced portobello and allow it to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the vegan mayo, lemon juice, black pepper, parsley, sriracha, and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Saute the onions and cook them for about 10 minutes. You want them to be soft and golden brown, set aside.
- Next, increase the heat to medium-high and add the portobello mushroom to the pan, along with the marinade sauce. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring every now and then. Cook until the mushrooms have shrunk half their original size. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cut focaccia bread into square sandwich size pieces. If you have thick focaccia, you can cut it in half, or if you have a thinner one, you can use two thing pieces for your sandwich.
- On the bottom half, spread the garlic aioli, add the portobello slices, sauteed onions, vegan cheese slice and top it off with the other half of the bread. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, sourdough, focaccia, bread, recipes, sandwich, portobello mushrooms, lunch, dinner, entree