This can be made both as an iced latte or a hot latte! The steps are the same.
- ½ cup – water
- ½ cup – white sugar
- 3 heaping tablespoons – dried rose petals https://amzn.to/34OLuEy (or 1–2 teaspoons, rose water https://amzn.to/2YNDjnY)
- 1 teaspoon– cardamom pods https://amzn.to/3gJTokA (or 1/4 teaspoon – ground cardamom https://amzn.to/2EOKPbb)
- 2 shots of espresso (or ½ cup of strong brewed coffee)
- 1 cup – non-dairy milk, I used oatmilk
See notes for links to the products I used and substitutions.
- Add water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Let the syrup come to a simmer. Add the rose petals and continue to simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. (If you are using rose water, add it in at this stage.)
- Meanwhile, open the cardamom pods by crushing them with a mortar and pestle. Remove the husk and then grind just the seeds until you get a fine powder. (If you are using ground cardamom, skip this step)
- Brew your espresso shot or strong coffee.
- Heat and froth your milk. If making an iced latte, skip this step.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground cardamom (or ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom) to your favorite mug or glass. Add a tablespoon of the rose simple syrup, then your espresso shot (or strong coffee), and lastly the milk.
- Top it off with a few dried rose petals. Enjoy!
- If you’re not used to floral flavors, you might not want to overdo it. It can get quite overpowering and “perfumy”. So taste as you go!
- If you cannot find rose petals https://amzn.to/2QAJffy, you can also use rose water https://amzn.to/2YNDjnY
- If you also cannot find cardamom pods, you can use ground cardamom.
- If you do not own an espresso machine, you can brew a cup of strong coffee.
- Save the rose simple syrup to flavor up any other drinks! Like rose-flavored iced tea!
Keywords: vegan, recipe, drinks, coffee, latte, rose petals, cardamom, rose cardamom latte