Apple Crisp Brown Sugar Syrup
- 240ml (8oz or 1 cup) – apple juice concentrate, which can be found in the frozen section
- 80g (⅓ cup) – fresh diced apples
- 200g (1 cup) – dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon – apple pie spice, see notes for homemade apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla bean paste or extract
- 60ml (2oz) – Double shot of espresso
- 240ml (8oz or 1 cup) – cold oat milk, I used Oatly
- Pinch of apple pie spice
- A tiny dash of vanilla paste, optional
- Small pot
- Rubber spatula
- Fine mesh sieve
- Jar for storage
- Milk frother
- Favorite glass
Apple Crisp Brown Sugar Syrup:
- In a saucepan, add all your ingredients. Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until the syrup thickens. Pour syrup into Mason Jars and let cool before storing or using.
- Pull your double espresso shots.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons (or to taste) of the apple crisp brown sugar syrup along with a double shot of espresso in a shaker with ice.
- Shake until thoroughly chilled and combined. Strain over ice in a tall glass.
- In a separate cup, combine the cold oatmilk, pinch of apple pie spice, and dash of vanilla paste. Froth the milk until thick then pour over the espresso mixture.
- Stir to combine and enjoy!
- Sugar Substitutions – I love using dark brown sugar for this recipe because it gives the syrup a nice caramel flavor, but you can substitute it for coconut sugar, cane sugar, or even light brown sugar. I have not tried this with agave or maple syrup, so I can’t say that it will work the same.
- Vanilla extract/paste – I love adding vanilla paste because it just brings out a better flavor, but you can certainly use vanilla extract.
- Can I make this a sugar-free syrup? I haven’t personally made this syrup sugar-free before, so I can’t say how this recipe will turn out using sugar-free alternatives.
- Is this the same as the Starbucks Apple Crisp Oatmilk Shaken Espresso? This is way better than the Starbucks version!
- How much do I put in my coffee? Use as much as you want, it’s up to your preference!
- Do I need to froth my milk? No, but I like to make cold foam to make this drink slightly different than what you get at Starbucks. In reality, a shaken espresso is just a latte. So why not make it a little bit different?
- Apple Pie Spice (This makes quite a bit, so save the rest for other apple recipes!):
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom